Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Things I Love: Happy Stories That Make You Cry.

The thing about this story is that it doesn't start happy. But, for a story to be worthy of crying it can't always be good, by definition it had to be awful at some point to become happy, and crying worthy.

I was reading a blog, as I do often, and came across someone else's (I don't remember what/whose blog, and can't find it in my browser history, sorry) praise for Matt Logelin. I had never heard of him, but he too has a blog, so I went to it.

Two Kisses for Maddy by Matthew Logelin. A tragically fantastic book.

Turns out, his life started happily. He married his high school sweetheart, bought a house, and they were going to have a baby. In the book, Matt calls his wife Liz's pregnancy "rocky," but sometime during the several chapters he spends describing it, I realized it was more than rocky. The good news is that when the baby (Madeline) was born, she was very healthy, despite being born 7 weeks early. Liz (mom) was okay too, but had to wait 24 hours to be able to get out of bed, and go see her baby. Mind you, she had been in a bed for three weeks straight, and just had major surgery. He describes her excitement for the 24 hour mark, and the ironic fact that she slept right through it. When it was time for her to be able to go meet Maddy, she stood up for the first time in three weeks, and died within minutes from a blood clot they think went to her lungs.

In a mixture of eloquence and stream of consciousness, Matt writes about the joy of having a baby daughter, and then, only 27 hours later, losing his wife and his daughter's mother.

The good news is that the rest of the book looks up. He slowly and painfully moves on, and does his best to raise his daughter without a partner, and without Maddy having a mother.

The book is laugh out loud hysterical at some points, and at others I literally couldn't read the words due to tears blocking my eyesight.

I then visited his blog, where he has stories, pictures, and updates on both his life and Maddy's. They even started a foundation in Liz's name: The Liz Logelin Foundation.

Now knowing the entire story, I'm even more moved by what he has gone through and what he has taken from it. There are hundreds of quotes about crappy circumstances and attitudes, please choose the one you feel appropriate for this situation.

So, stop by his blog, the The Liz Logelin Foundation website, or check out his book, Two Kisses for Maddy by Matt Logelin. I do not think you will be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment