Wednesday, July 6, 2011

It's (Was) Canada Day!

Now that the Fourth of July festivities are over, please take a moment to celebrate Canada Day, which took place even before the Fourth. According to my research, July 1st serves as a celebration of the British North American Act, which united three British colonies back in 1867 to create a new nation called Canada. Thank you, Wikipedia!

And, with a real Canadian (known here as H) coming across the country to visit me, what could be a better time for me to celebrate my first Canada Day?

So, as all good celebrations need confections, I baked a cake. Not any ordinary cake, but a festive cake. I made the cake at 9 in the morning, and finished it at approximately 9 at night. My future as a cake baker/decorator is limited. 


We had our ingredients: frosting, regular food coloring, cake graffiticolor gels, and a cake.

My attempt to spray paint a cake, which began with trials on icing on a paper plate.

It all began with my defacement of the Canadian flag, after I decided a Canadian flag cake would be most appropriate for this holiday.

Not the easiest thing to cut out.

I diligently cut out the maple leaf from the center of a printed flag, in hopes that I would be able to use this as a stencil for the red edible spray paint I bought just for this project. But, due to the country believing red dyes are poisonous, some creativity was need to figure out how we might create the red of the Canadian flag. Regular food coloring does a terrible job, and after mixing it into icing we got a poor excuse for red, it was dark pink at best. The color gels we bought worked much better, giving us a red color, not so much candy apple, but pretty good, considering the Red 40 debacle.

Pink in the background, and the red we used in the foreground.

Despite spending quite a while on perfecting the red dyes, the difficult part hadn't started. I still had a cake, a bowl of icing and cake spray paint, and a dilemma as to how to get a red maple leaf onto the cake.

My stencil. Now what?

After much debate, sprinkles were chosen as the best way to get a perfect decent maple leaf. Also, H enjoys the decoration aspects of sprinkles, so it was a win-win. 

To execute this, I was handed a sharp object, and began to carve another maple leaf, this time out of wax paper. It was then placed over the iced cake, and I impersonated this man with the sprinkles. 

Look closely, and you might see the outline of a maple leaf. However, it might be necessary to be Canadian to see it. 

Wax paper came off, slowly and carefully, and it resulted in this.

In certain light it sparkled.

To add the red on either sides I used the long labored-on icing. 


One side: 


And the other:


Results: 
  • H was quite excited, and a few minutes of picture taking ensued.
  • It tasted pretty good, if I do say so myself. It took us a few days to cut into and eat the maple leaf, we were able to beat around the (maple) bush for a while. 

H and me with the finished product.


3 comments:

  1. Fun story! I feel as if I were right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serbian Day is September 2nd...just an idea for any future cakes you may want to make.

    http://www.serbianday.com/

    (interestingly enough, the website is sponsored by Canadians.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll look into it. However, the Serbian flag is much harder to create than the Canadian flag. I think my next project will be something simple like Japan or Italy.

    ReplyDelete