Monday, February 6, 2012

Birthdays.


Youth had been a habit of hers for so long that she could not part with it. 
- Rudyard Kipling

Tomorrow marks the day I've been on the earth for eighteen years. I've been spending the last few weeks thinking about how I feel about this, as if I have a choice. To me, the jump from seventeen to eighteen marks the end of childhood. 

I cried on my 18th birthday. I thought 17 was such a nice age. You're young enough to get away with things, but you're old enough, too.
-Liv Tyler

I won't be crying today, though. I'll be enjoying the fact that I'm lucky enough to see this day come, and that I have the rest of my life to cry about time passing. But today, I'm going to suck the marrow out of life. If not now, then when? 

I'll make this a day to remember, something I can look back at and be glad I wasn't crying, instead be pleased that I was enjoying it for all it was worth. I'll enjoy each moment for what it was worth and maybe make the transition into adulthood more bearable. Let's hope in eighteen more years, I can say the same thing about that day as I am about today, and that I can see how I've changed, grown, and become more me. 

Here's to everyone becoming more of themselves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment