Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Sansoucci Palace

Sansoucci, a crash course:
  • It was built from 1945 - 1947 (please email me with notice of anything ever in the past 100 years that has been built in two years. Anything at all, thank you.) 
  • Obviously King Frederick needed a summer house, along with some garden space, so here we are. 
  • In my research for this here post (I do a lot for the general public known as the internet), I learned that the grounds are a UNESCO World Heritage site. Look how much more cultured I am now that I've been there.
  • You can go in with the purchase of a ticket, and also you need to pay to be able to take pictures inside. I did. The Russian woman behind me, who spent a great deal of time taking photos, did not. Rules.




I spent a day in Potsdam (two stops from my host family’s house in Wannsee, in case you want to look at a map and see just how far that is from the center of Berlin). Once I got off the train at the Potsdam Hauptbahnhof and headed toward the buses, it became evident that I missed Potsdam’s half marathon, with everyone was walking around with medals around their necks and drinking chocolate milk. I had looked for races during my time here but apparently missed that one in my search, unfortunately. 




It was actually warm and sunny that day (I was unprepared for this German weather) and blue skies look a lot better in these pictures than I’m sure overcast and gray clouds would look. For basically double the price of going to one palace, I got a day pass to all of them, and that was well worth it. My hose mom told me that Sansoucci, the big hit of the place, wasn’t that big and probably not worth my time if I could only go into one palace. According to her, it “only has 8 rooms” and the others have much more, so they’re much more worth my time. 




While only having 8 rooms, it was pretty worth it. 


All of the rooms are parallel, with doorways at the back, so you have to go through one room to get to the next. Basically all of the rooms were used to entertain, so I’m not sure it was their biggest issue, and they probably could have designed it differently if it was a real problem. This wasn’t the first palace built in Europe, after all. 






It’s a shame they were careful with their expenses with decorating, however. 








Apparently this is called Nouveau Rococo and it’s different from regular Rococo because it features aspects of nature. Like the spider web made out of gold on the ceiling. You’re welcome for that art lesson.




I heard a thousand languages that day, which was interesting and entertaining. The best part about the day was that most of the palaces had audio tours, so everyone was silent. We all milled around the rooms, sometimes people were idiots and stood right in the way of everyone, but what’s new? For the most part, it made what could have been a terrible situation pretty awesome because you didn’t have to deal with anyone, and as is not the case in a group tour, if you got bored or lost interest, you just left. Self-autonomy for the win. 







And I didn't even have to be one of the people who had to wear their backpack on their front. Clearly I was one of the classier people there.




And then outside and onto the next few palaces...

No comments:

Post a Comment