Monday, November 16, 2015

Copenhagen (part 2)

click here to read part 1 and stay tuned for part 3 and how I finally ended up in Copenhagen

As I wound my way back through the fortress, looking for a way out, I happened upon the actual castle part of the fortress. It was protected by land that looks like this:


And then you come upon this. Here's an aerial view of the entire thing. The colors of the buildings were beautiful and again, the design of the buildings was symmetrical and the windows were in the pattern that I appreciate and the Danish flag was flying. I personally think it's a great design for a flag. 




I have a thing for windmills, and when we were in Amsterdam there wasn't a lot of time for windmill visiting, so I was more than pleased to see this one.



And finally I found my way out. It doesn't seem like that much extra walking than had the entire fortress been normal ground, but walking the perimeter of the star took forever. The good thing is that I knew where I was going, otherwise it would have been much less fun. 


(What I like most about these pictures is that you can see just how quickly the clouds changed. Sometimes they were moving right along and white and you could see blue sky through them, and other times they were dark and foreboding and it looked like it would pour any minute. Luckily, I got through the morning without any rain.)

And then I ended up back at Nyhavn.


I had read about the changing of the guards at Amalienborg Palace, something that happens daily at noon. Part of my annoyance at having to wind through the fortress was that I wanted to get to the palace on time, and all the winding was not helping my cause.


But I got there just in time. It was very cool to see and I'm glad I had made it a priority in my otherwise plan-less day.


This can illustrate just how many other people had heard about the changing of the guards. I cropped most of the people out who were standing in front of me, but let's just say that without my camera held high above my head, I wouldn't have seen much of anything. 


Amalienborg is really four palaces, all identical, sitting on the four sides of the square. They actually live there, which is amazing in terms of how unguarded they are.


I guess that flag means someone was home?


Eventually I stopped for lunch. I was determined to eat Danish food, so any restaurant with this name seemed good enough for my purposes. I sat under an umbrella with the restaurant-provided blanket over me, and just as I started to eat, it started to pour and got cold and windy, but we were okay under the umbrellas.


I ate this with a fork and knife. It was chicken with some curry sauce (or at least that's what the menu said, but it wasn't spicy like I though it would be). Regardless, it was delicious. And local.


And back to Nyhavn.



Hans Christian Andersen is a big deal in Denmark, as I suppose he should be. This was his home, which is now a shop. He lived in three different houses in Nyhavn, but this is the one where he wrote some of the more famous of his writings.


And a little visit to another palace, Christiansborg, with Frederik VII out front.


No comments:

Post a Comment